Torii gate and forecast stone
A stone wall
Five storied pagoda
Last instruction of Ieyasu
Omotemon gate and Nioh statue
Three sacred warehouses
Rest room for the God
Shinkyu sacred stable
Story of three monkeys
Kouya-maki black pine
Omizuya water house
Torii bronze gate
Youmeimon gate
Over 500 sculptures
Frame of Ieyasu's designation
Inverted pillar
Human sculpture
Children and Ieyasu
Shed for sacred sedan chair
Kaguraden stage
Restoration of cultural property
Kitouden prayer hall
Karamon gate
Sleeping cat
Sakashita-mon gate
Kairou corridor
Honsha central shrine
General's room
Stone room
Haiden Oratory
Honden main hall
Spiritual animal
Nature
Okusha inner shrine
Okusha Haiden Oratory
Inukimon gate
Okusha treasure tower
Showrow bell tower, Korou drum tower
Crying dragon
Lanterns
Korean bell
Carvings on the wainscot
Jumping lion
Rinzo revolving shelf
Former Karamon gate,
Torii stone gate
Person's face on the trunk
Toshogu Treasure House
Guest hall
Toshogu Museum of Art
Traditional event
Samurai-style 1,000-person procession
Omamori
(Charm in brocade bag)

*Five Storied Pagoda


The Five Storied Pagoda is 36m high.
It is located on the left of Ishidorii (Stone Gate).


Tadakatsu Sakai contributed this building in 1650, but was burned down in 1815. Descendant of Tadakatsu rebuilt in 1818. Tadakatsu Sakai was the governor of Obama (Former Fukui prefecture).

It is 36m high. There are no floors inside and each story is connected directly. The central pillar is the diameter of 60cm. It is hung from the height of the 4th floor by chain. The bottom of the pillar is not attached to the ground, but it has floated about 10cm. This is an anti-earthquake construction. Also, gap of the building will be bigger when wood shrinks and the roof sinks. The hung pillar also has an effect on that.

Rafter of the roof is parallel from the first to the 4th floor, but rafter of the 5th layer is spokewise. Also, sculptures of animals on the first layer indicate twelve zodiac signs and directions.

*Okariden (Temporary Hall)

The Okariden is the temporary building to store divine spirit when the main hall is in fixation. The Okariden was built in 1639. Generally speaking, temporary building will be destroyed after the reforming, but this Okariden was exceptional because Toshogu Shrine repaired frequently. Although, the Okariden was built for temporary use, construction style is the same as the main building. It is called Gondenzukuri style, which consists of Haiden oratory, Ainoma middle room and Honden main hall. Every Shinto rite is carried out in the precinct of Okariden when the divine spirit is enshrined in the Okariden. In addition to that, Kaguraden (Dance stage), Gomadoh Hall (Burning a holy fire for invocation), Shinyosha (Shed of portable shrine), and Secchin (Rest room for the God) will be built even for temporary use. The divine spirit was moved to Okariden 19 times in the past. The last relocation was in 1863.


Nikko Tourist Association
Postal: 321-1404, 591 Goko-machi Nikko, Tochigi
TEL: +81-288-54-2496 FAX: +81-288-54-2495

Nikko Tourist Association, Ashio branch office
Postal: 321-1523, 6-3 Matsubara Ashio-machi Nikko, Tochigi
TEL: +81-288-93-3417 FAX: +81-288-93-3467