The Tamozawa Imperial Villa Memorial Park (Former
Tamozawa Imperial Villa) was built in 1899 for the purpose of the
Emperor of Taisho's rest.
Main frame of the building was brought from Akasaka
detached palace, and construction started from 1898 and it ended
in June 1899. After that, a big reform was carried out for the purpose
of the Emperor's stay from 1918 to 1920.
It is 4500 square meters, has 106 rooms. Emperor
Taisho had passed the summer in this villa every year since 1925.
In Showa period, Emperor Showa and Empress Koujun also stayed there,
and the Showa Emperor evacuated to Nikko for a year from 1944. It
was the time of the W.W. II.
Area was 107,000 square meters at the time of 1922,
but it has been 30,000 square meters today. The area has been reduced
to 1/3 comparing to 1922.
The former Imperial Villa is valuable in terms
of the following four aspects.
1. This building is very precious in terms of
architecture. For example, it is well harmonized with construction
style of Edo, Meiji and Taisho period.
2. It is one of the biggest wooden buildings in Japan.
3. The former Tamozawa Imperial Villa is the only one, which is
existing. Other Former Imperial Villas in Meiji era are not.
4. It has a cultural value entire the building judging from decoration
and paintings inside.