Toshogu Shrine used to be called Tosho Shrine at the first time.
However, messengers of Imperial court came to Nikko to tell the
new designation as Toshogu Shrine in 1645. After that, the Imperial
court of Kyoto dispatched messengers to NIkko every year in order
to dedicate lucky goods. These messengers were called Reiheishi.
Also, the street is called Kaido in Japanese. This is the reason
why this street was called Reiheishi-kaido.
A group of the Reiheishi consisted of 50-80 people,
but Japanese feudal lords yielded their place for the Reiheishi's
stay. It meant that the Reiheishi had the greatest authority.
The Reiheishi continued annual visitation until
1867. For this system, authority of the Imperial court became well
known. Also, culture of Kyoto was brought through the street.